Floating Docks for Fluctuating Water Levels
When you own property on an ocean, river or even a lake, you’re probably familiar with the frequent change in the water’s level. Several factors impact how water fluctuates, including wind, severe weather, rains and floods, boat traffic, currents, tides and natural formations. For some docks, fluctuating water levels can be problematic.
Here is what happens to docks when water goes up and down:
- The water’s constant movement slowly wears down some building materials, such as wood, until you need to repair the damage or replace the dock.
- It becomes difficult to enter or exit your vessel from the dock, especially if the water is low.
- You’re responsible for continually cleaning and maintaining the dock to rid it of residue or corrosive salt.
- As the water gets higher, a traditionally fixed dock may become submerged and inaccessible.
- You may need to apply a chemical treatment to certain materials, which can be expensive and hazardous for wildlife.
Fortunately, floating docks negate these common concerns and offer an affordable, reliable and convenient solution for fluctuating water levels.
Read the full article or jump to a specific section:
- How Do Floating Docks Handle Fluctuating Water?
- Benefits of Choosing Floating Docks For Fluctuating Water
- Types of Floating Docks and Features
- EZ Dock Has Floating Docks For Your Waterfront Property
How Do Floating Docks Handle Fluctuating Water?
Floating docks contain foam or air-filled chambers that allow them to float on top of the water, rather than break the water as it moves. EZ Dock floating docks are made out of polyethylene, a type of plastic polymer, and strong, thick layers that encase air pockets. While some floating docks require barrels or rolling structures underneath the platforms, EZ Dock products float on their own, rising and falling with the water.
Benefits of Choosing Floating Docks for Fluctuating Water
Investing in a dock for your waterfront property is a great way to enhance your and your visitors’ experience. They provide easy access to swimming, fishing, boating and watersports, and boost the value of your home or business. They’re also the ideal place to gather and entertain, with scenic views of the water and lulling waves.
When you choose a floating dock, you get all of these same benefits, as well as:
- Easier exit and entry: With fixed docks, you are at the mercy of fluctuating water levels. When water is exceptionally low or high, this makes it challenging to board and exit your boat, personal watercraft (PWC), kayak or canoe without straining or pulling. With a floating dock, your dock is always level with the water — and with your vessel.
- Minimal maintenance: Floating docks require no bolts, nails, screws or sensitive hardware. When you choose a floating dock made of durable materials — like polyethylene — there is also no need for hazardous chemical treatments or ongoing care. Heavy rain is usually all it takes to make your dock sparkle again, but to retain its newness, you can wipe it down with soap and water or use a pressure washer for quick completion.
- Easier installation: Modular floating docks fit together via a connecting coupler system that keeps them secure while absorbing outside shock. At EZ Dock, we craft our couplers out of recycled rubber, which is environmentally friendly and long-lasting. You can easily install your dock with the help of a friend, or you can contact one of our representatives, and we’ll be happy to take care of it for you. Unlike other types of docks, floating dock installation usually takes less than a day and requires no specialized training or equipment.
Types of Floating Docks and Features
Floating docks are ideal for all types of water, settings and applications. You’ll find them in use on private properties, at vacation homes and resorts, at public parks, at beaches and campgrounds and for industrial jobs on the water. While every EZ Dock floating dock possesses the same level of strength and stability, there are a few things you need to consider, depending on the kind of waterfront where you plan to install it:
- Lakes and ponds: Lakes and ponds are calmer than rivers and oceans, but you have to consider any local building regulations, like environmental restrictions or homeowner’s association guidelines. The best docks for lakes that have fluctuating water levels are those with a gangway. Some water levels in lakes and ponds can be shallow, but you can use a gangway to attach the floating dock to the shore and safely install the dock over deeper water.
- Rivers: If you’re installing a floating dock on a river, consider installing safety railings around the edge — especially if the dock is intended for public use.
- Oceans: Ocean water is salty and corrosive, but EZ Dock floating docks and couplers are made out of a durable material that will not break down like wood and metal. Because ocean currents and waves can get rough, consider anchoring your floating dock to keep it even more secure during severe weather.
Additional Accessories and Features
Floating docks with built-in ports and features can help you get the most out of your investment. EZ Dock ports and accessories rise and fall with the dock, allowing you the same level of convenience.
Consider the following add-ons for your floating dock:
- PWC ports: PWC ports — like the EZ Port VXP, EZ Port 2i and the EZ Port MAX system from EZ Dock — let you dock and store your Jet Ski, Sea-Doo or other PWC until you’re ready to use it again.
- Kayak and canoe launches: The EZ Launch and EZ Kayak Launch from EZ Dock are a great place to store your kayak or canoe when you’re not using them, and they make it easier than ever to board, exit and launch your vessel.
- Boat ports: EZ Dock has several different drive-on boat ports, available in various sizes and weight capacities. Boat ports will keep your vessel secure and out of the water, and they are a great option when you need to clean or detail your boat.
- Paddleboat docks: Paddleboats are popular fixtures on lakes and ponds and provide endless hours of fun and sightseeing. If you operate a paddleboat business or want to boost your public space, a paddleboat dock can help you do that.
- Swim platforms: Floating docks with built-in swim platforms give swimmers quick access to the water. Pair them with a ladder, a dock slide and storage containers for spare towels, and you’ve got a fun-filled docking solution. EZ Dock swim platforms have a textured, non-slip surface that does not splinter or overheat in the summer sun, making them a safe choice for swimmers of all ages.
- Safety features: Floating docks with enhanced safety features give you peace of mind. Modular safety railings and boat bumpers will help protect your dock, vessel and loved ones.
- Accessories: Additional accessories from EZ Dock include tie-up cleats, a fish cleaning station and comfortable bench seating to create the ultimate space to relax and entertain by the waterside.
Shapes and Configurations
At EZ Dock, you can get your modular floating dock in individual sections to create your own layout, or you can opt for pre-made configurations to accommodate your specific dimensions, number of vessels and other needs. Optional floating dock configurations include:
You can also get a standard rectangular-shaped floating dock in various widths and lengths, depending on your property. Contact an EZ Dock representative if you need assistance choosing the best layout for you.
EZ Dock Has Floating Docks for Your Waterfront Property
If you own property near a body of moving, fluctuating water, a floating dock is the best way to keep your vessels secure and accessible. Learn more about the EZ Dock Advantage and find a distributor near you!